Many may not realise this, but cricket is in fact one of the oldest sports in the world with the earliest records dating back as early as the 16th century. For as long as the sport has been played, there have been people betting on the outcome and much of the development of the sport can be attributed to these punters as matches were once organised specifically so that wealthy gamblers could bet on them for outrageous stakes.
The format of the game has changed since the early days of cricket, but its association with betting has never ceased. As the second most popular spectator sport in the world, it’s no surprise that cricket continues to attract significant betting interest.
The Development of Cricket Betting
As cricket continues to develop, so do the betting markets currently available for punters to choose from. The rise of online sports betting has made cricket betting even more accessible to the masses and a major contributing factor to the appeal of cricket in recent times is the introduction of the 20 over game.
The shortened format, known as Twenty20, has been played on a professional level since 2003 and the Twenty20 World Cup always attracts major betting interest.
International tournaments, test series, and the Cricket World Cup always see thousands of punters flocking to their favourite online sportsbook to take advantage of the thrilling betting markets which the sport presents.
Types of Cricket Bets
Much like finding the best online casino for real slots NZ, the first step in getting started with cricket betting is to find a reputable online sportsbook which offers a wide range of cricket betting markets. Here are some of the betting markets to look out for when choosing an online sportsbook:
- To Win: this type of betting market is the most popular across all sports and simply requires you to select the winner of the match, series, or tournament depending on which format you’re betting on.
- Man of the Match: select the team member you believe will be named Man of the Match in a particular match.
- Top Batsman / Top Bowler: select the team member you believe will score the most runs or take the most wickets in a particular match.
- To Win the Toss: select the team you think will win the toss at the beginning of the match.
- Most Sixes: select the team member you believe will score the most sixes in a match.
Cricket Betting Tips for Beginners
- Know the market: do plenty of research ahead of placing your first cricket bet and watch plenty of games.
- Find a top online sportsbook: only use reputable online sportsbook which offer a wide range of cricket betting markets.
- Be patient: you won’t become a master sports bettor overnight, so don’t let losses get you down.
- Set a budget and stick to it: you should never bet more than you can afford and you should never chase losses. Decide on how much you can realistically spend on cricket betting and don’t waiver from this amount.