Soccer is the most popular sport in the world with a reported 250 million players in over 200 countries and dependencies and an estimated 3.5 billion fans.
This means that there is always a soccer match or tournament on the go for plenty of exciting betting opportunities and many fans enjoy putting their knowledge of the sport to the test by putting money down on the outcome.
However, the outcome of the match isn’t the only market punters are able to bet on as there are many different types of soccer bets to sink your teeth into.
Find a Reputable Online Sportsbook
The first thing you need to do before you can get started with soccer betting is to find a reputable and reliable online sportsbook. You should always place your bets online as online sportsbooks offer the most competitive odds and coupled with the ease of access and convenience, online sports betting is a no-brainer. The best online sportsbooks are also available on your smart device, so you can bet anywhere, any time.
When looking for an online sportsbook, it’s important that you do plenty of research to make sure you only do business with the best and you should always make sure that the software is reliable, that the banking options are varied and secure, that the betting markets are diverse, and that the customer service facilities are top-notch should you require any assistance.
Getting Started with Soccer Betting
NZ Sports betting experts are specialists of their chosen sport and you will need to know just as much in order to become a successful soccer punter. If you’re not a fan of the sport, but are smart enough to recognise the value of soccer betting, you’ll need to brush up on your facts before placing your first bet.
As such, do as much research as possible and over time you’ll learn who the teams or leagues are to back.
Our beginner soccer betting tips:
- Set a budget and stick to it
- Become familiar with the different soccer betting wagers
- Set realistic goals and be patient
- Be aware of your personal bias
- Shop the odds across numerous sports betting sites
- Keep detailed records in order to learn from mistakes
- Always bet for the right reasons
Types of Soccer Bets
You’ll probably start to feel overwhelmed as soon as you see all the different types of soccer bets available on a single match, but don’t let it put you off as the below options are your best bet if you’re just getting started.
- Win-Draw-Win/Moneyline: the most popular wager type overall, especially amongst beginners. All you have to do is decide which team will win the match or whether the match will end in a draw.
- Futures/Outrights: perfect for placing bets ahead of major tournaments such as the UEFA Champions League or the FIFA World Cup, you’ll be able to put money down on which team you think will win the entire tournament.